Blog // News

Marketplace Stat Changes

Written by: Beau Blackwell, Community Manager

Today, ClickBank made a few changes to our Marketplace sales statistics in an effort to help affiliates better understand what they can expect to earn by promoting a particular vendor’s products. Several of these changes consisted of simply changing the name of the statistic, though we also added one new stat and removed another. This post will summarize the changes.

• Avg $/sale: This stat was previously called Total $/sale. This stat has been updated to reflect the total amount an affiliate can expect to earn from promoting this vendor’s products, including initial sales and rebills in the case of a recurring billing product. As always, this amount is just an average and is not guaranteed.
  • Initial $/sale: This stat was previously called Avg $/sale. It represents the average amount an affiliate earns from the first sale of any product. For one-time purchases, this represents the total amount an affiliate can expect to earn. For recurring billing products, it represents the first sale but not any subsequent rebills. This number takes into account refunds, chargebacks, and sales tax.
  • Avg Rebill Total: This stat was previously called Future $. It is only shown if the vendor offers a recurring billing product. This stat shows the average amount an affiliate earns on all subsequent rebills of a recurring billing product, and does not include the initial sale.
  • Avg %/sale: This stat shows the average commission rate earned for all sales of a vendor’s products, including one-time purchases, rebills, and upsell purchases. Since vendors can offer different commission rates for different types of products, this number may not exactly match the commission rate you earn on any given sale.
  • Avg %/rebill: This stat is new. It is only shown if the vendor offers recurring billing products, and shows the average commission rate earned only on rebills.
  • %/refd: This stat has been removed from the Marketplace. Based on feedback from affiliates, we decided this stat was no longer necessary.

For more information on what all of our Marketplace sales stats mean, please see Finding Products to Promote in our Help Center.

Developers: We’ve updated the ClickBank Datafeed to version 2 to represent these changes. You can access the new datafeed here. The old datafeed will be accessible temporarily, but will eventually be removed. Please change to the new datafeed as soon as possible.

Comments

1. Gyuri says:

Nice improvements. Would have loved another column showing the language of the product given the increasing number of French and Spanish products.
    Also, the category and subcategory could be added as a column also, now that a one to one relationship is enforced between a product and a category, so that the xml file will be flat and more readable both by humans and scripts. Currently it is a hierarchical file which is quite an old way of displaying hierarchical categories.
    Some more suggestions that could be included:
    hops per order
    refund rate
    These are both essential stats for affiliates while conducting risk analysis.

• bbb
      Beau Blackwell, ClickBank says:

Hi Gyuri,

Thanks very much for the feedback! I’ll pass those along to our development team for consideration in future updates.

2. Michelle says:

I’m very disappointed to see you dropped the %/refd statistic. It is very useful to me in determining whether I want to promote a ClickBank product or not. It is very important to me to know whether the vendor is actively competing with affiliates for promoting a product or not!

3. Nick says:

%/refd was extremely useful stat, especially for detecting potential cheaters. How come you decided to drop it? I am very disappointed…

4. KD says:

Why % refd is not anymore listed. It helps me determine how much sale referred by affiliates or in other words if there are any commission leaks. Please include it in the stats again

5. Sergey says:

Yes! Please, bring the %/refd back. It is a vital piece of information.

6. Ben says:

A lot of newbies were misinterpreting the %/refd statistic to mean that it was a refund percentage for the product being promoted. Its certainly was not that at all.

Ben

7. John says:

A simple solution to that would be to change the abbreviation to “%/rfrd”… although it’s probably a moot point right now. :-)

8. Great updates. It really looks like you guys are changing things up even from how it used to be just a few years ago. Great job guys! I love promoting your products.

9. Phil says:

%/refd was an important parameter I was using to determine if I was going to promote the product.
    I’m really disappointed that this metric has gone and I hope it will come back.

10. %/refd could have had a name-change just like some of the other stat-names.

Removing a very useful stat because some people misunderstood it just doesn’t seem right.

11. Gaz says:

Please bring back %/refd stats. I use it to determine whether I should promote a particular product based on the amount of sales referred by other affiliates. If the %/refd stat is extremely high, I wouldn’t bother promoting the product because that tells me there are too many affiliates to compete with. I wonder what sort of “feedback” those affiliates gave to warrant the removal of this very useful stat?

Thanks.

12. One of my products has upsells and downsells, and the bottom line is we make more money for our affiliates, yet according to the marketplace our avg. earnings per sale “the big number most affiliates are going to look at” is much less than everyone else, but that’s because we’re grabbing sales (downsells) that wouldn’t otherwise have been made.

I’m also fairly confident from what I can gather that upsells are being counted in Avg $/sale and Initial $/sale which makes no sense to me. Upsells should be “in addition” to the initial sale as they’re increasing the overall order amount of that initial sale. We have upsells that are about 50% less than our initial sales and it makes us look like affiliates will earn less with us in comparison to someone who has no upsells! Lower price upsells lower the Avg $/sale and Initial $/sale.

From what I can gather Avg $/sale and Initial $/sale are net sales amount divided by net sales count. However, upsell amounts should be added to the net sales amount and then divided by net sales count, net sales count should NOT include upsells.

I really hope someone at ClickBank will read this and realize that upsells should be calculated in order to increase the Avg $/sale and Initial $/sale and not be counted as sales themselves.

13. Leonard says:

As you can see from the comments the %/refd stat is an important one for affiliates. Please bring it back immediately!

14. Rick says:

I have to agree about the %/refd stat … it was a very useful stat and would be great to see it back. If people were getting confused, why not change it to something like ‘%/Aff ‘ to represent the % of Affiliate sales?

15. Michael says:

%/refd gives very little valuable info. A high percentage can mean many different things just like a low percentage can. For example, a product can have 100% referred, whereas in reality it could have 0% referred (the vendor could use a different account to promote the product).

Or a product is brand new and the vendor just mentioned it to his list so it has 0% referred rate. I’d be hesitant to promote a product that the vendor is not smart enough to know how to promote it to his own list.

It is one of the worst stats to use to consider whether or not you promote a product. Glad ClickBank removed it.

16. mani says:

% refd is really helpfull for affiliates can clickbank add this again. thanks/-

17. Doug says:

I agree with Miles. The situation he outlined is true.

As an example, take a vendor selling one product for $30 and a one-click upsell for $10. In the marketplace this would be averaged out as two sales of $20. I believe this is incorrect. For marketplace stats this should be reported as *one* $40 sale. It’s clearly a *bonus* to the original $30 sale.

To make matters worse, the more one-click upsells the vendor makes, the lower their avg. per sale appears. You’re making more money for affiliates, but it looks like you’re making less. It seems like a disservice to everyone involved.

I hope CB looks at a way to fairly report this data. I’d be happy to discuss the issue offline as well.

Regards, Doug

18. I’m really disappointed with the exclusion of the %referred statistic. I’m not sure how many ‘affiliates’ clickbank consulted but this stat has been quite an important statistic for me in deciding whether a particular product might be worth promoting. It also gives important insight when comparing 2 similar products. Say product A is number #7 and similar product B is at #9. Both have similar gravity. The %referred stat in this instance could be helpful in deciding which (of course many other factors like sales copy, product quality etc etc holds as well) product to promote.

19. Dan says:

There’s enough figures to make it a bit confusing…

20. Bob says:

%refd is a critical stat. Please bring it back!

21. Daniel says:

Why remove %/refd? It is very important!

22. Mike says:

How about a stats that gives the conversion % so that affiliates know how well a product is converting?

23. jfdalumpines says:

it nice to start developing new product line. if the vendors affiliate doesn’t generate net profit after deducting all the expenses. it should remove and think of new product that could he lp the marketing share profitable.

24. Michael says:

I have to agree, in some instances %/refd is significantly useful.

My vote is to reinstate it.

If some people are confused by the name %/refd, it is surely not beyond the wit of ClickBank to find a less confusing name.

Perhaps you could make your explainations of all stats more detailed.
    For instance: You could suggest in your explainations how an affiliate may use each stat in their decission making.

Perhaps that’s the trainer in me.

Anyway Clickbank, I think you are doing a great job.

25. Ivan says:

Why did you remove the referred stat? Id like to know the reasoning behind it..

26. CJ says:

It is almost impossible for me to believe that ANY affiliate would request that the %/refd statistic be removed (at least any affiliate that knows what he/she is doing). This stat is one of the most important for any serious affiliate. It tells affiliates if product owners are actively competing with affiliates, as well as how much affiliate competition there is with each product. Deleting this stat in NO WAY helps affiliates, and I believe you know that. I’m sorry, but this makes Clickbank look less than honest and reputable.

27. Steffen says:

%refd is really helpfull for affiliates. Why is it decided?

28. Jim says:

Wow, I can’t believe you dropped the %/refd field from the stat box!

As you can see from the amount of posts, it was used by many affiliates in our calculations as to which products to promote… Please bring it back as it is very helpful in figuring which products to put strong promotions behind.

No active affiliate who actually understood what it was and how it could be used would have opted for its removal. Educating the new affiliate or renaming the stat would have been a better choice in my opinion.

29. Neil says:

Loving the changes, but please bring back %refd!

30. Himagain says:

As a “newby” to actual use of CB *I* thought %refd was REFUNDS!
    A great idea as to which products were at all useful to the end-user.

Seriously, we must be getting close to the time when Authorities in the civilised world will take action and force SOME reality in the insane promotions out in the “Cyberbog”.

As someone coming to what seems like a pretty insanely competitive(even vicious?)market from the “real” world, I have put off launching for a long, long time out of the fear instilled in me over many decades of international marketing in that real world where you can actually be far more than fined, but actually jailed, for 5% of the insane claims in the “Make a Million By Tomorrow With Absolutely No Work – 110% Guaranteed” offers out there.

I’m EXTREMELY interested in the chargeback percentages/refund rates.
    They must be horrendous – or am I once again failing to remember what Barnum said: “They are so dumb they like to be fooled” (paraphrased).
    What a really useful statistic %REFUNDS would be to any honest marketer.

31. bbb
    Beau Blackwell, ClickBank says:

Miles and Doug,

Just wanted to let you know that we’ve updated the Avg $/sale calculation so that now it adds upsells to the initial purchase and counts it all as one sale for the purposes of calculating Avg $/sale. Hope that helps!

32. Wow, what’s with the %ref love… it was one of the dumbest statistics ever, completely useless… they way you figure out what product to promote is through GRAVITY. Not %ref?? No wonder most of you guys are failing… stop looking at nonsense paramaters and go promote. Another good way to find out what’s good to promote… ASK. you guys forget how to.pick up a phone? Call some other affiliates and shoot the breeze, i promise, human interaction isn’t that bad.

33. David says:

As long as a vendor doesn’t change the price of a product (which happens now and then), the refund rate can be calculated fairly accurately from the other data given.

It would be nice, however, to get real stats for both the refund rates as well as the conversion rates.

I’ve never quite figured out the value of the %referred statistic. It’s very “fuzzy”, depending on a number of factors that are susceptible to divergent interests, not to mention just plain stupidity and arrogance. For instance, what if a vendor sends out links using their own affiliate-ID? Why do that? Can you spell “newbie”? Also, vendors can do cookie-stuffing to overwrite reseller cookies. And then there are all of the morons who feel that affiliate marketing is for the birds and strip off the affiliate codes and clear their cookies just to prevent affiliates from earning any commissions. (It’s not affected by hijacking, however.)

It sounds good in principle. But without some detailed qualification, it’s a very unreliable statistic, and potentially even an inverse indicator in some situations. It’s probably less accurate earlier on in a product’s life cycle than after hundreds of sales have been made. Unfortunately, I suspect that’s when it’s relied upon the most — for determining when to promote newer products.

Most people don’t understand numbers very well, though, so they’ll keep arguing to keep it as if it means something.

Again, it’s a very INACCURATE and UNRELIABLE statistic.

Try some “real” testing on your part: send out a promotional offer on a test sample and see what your response rates and conversion rates are. If they’re good, turn up the volume. If they’re not, try something else.

You could be missing out on some very profitable products by reling on this statistic.

34. Sergey says:

Wow! A lot of thanks for adding the Referred to your data feed v2!

35. K Grant says:

Dropping the %/refd was a terrible idea. It was an excellent feature that helped me
    NOT waste my time with merchants who, one way another, where undermining affiliate’s ability to sell the merchant’s product/service. The %/refd was a unique, affiliate friendly feature that made Clickback stand above other affiliate networks. Frankly, I think Clickbank was NOT listening to affiliates, but to merchant complaints about the inability to attract quaility affiliates because they ranked so low in the %/refd category, which was their own fault.

Bring back the %/refd stat. Please! It was one of the most vital stats to knowledgeable affiliates. Without it, Clickblank drops a notch to being an ordinary affiliate network.

36. Henry says:

Avg %/rebill: This stat is new. It is only shown if the vendor offers recurring billing products, and shows the average commission rate earned only on rebills. – I think this one was helpful. As it will show more how powerful the selling strategy of the product site is. The more information it shows on that criteria would explain how useful and trustworthy the product is gonna be.

37. hakan says:

Wow! A lot of thanks for adding the Referred to your data feed v2!

38. Srikanth says:

Wow, thanks for adding this. Another feature which will help a lot in promoting is if we can see the refund rate for the product, which helps us in promoting the good ones as there have been a lot of low quality products which promise one thing on the sales page and the product does not keep up to the promise.

39. Thanks very much for adding “Avg %” and “referred” to the data feed. Many thanks because the more data on a product, better options for the seller.

40. hi. i`m interested where can i find stats about how many times ppl clicked my affiliate links? is it possible?

• bbb
      Beau Blackwell, ClickBank says:

David,

You can view Hop (click) data by logging into your account and going to Reporting->Analytics. In there you’ll be able to see data on clicks, order form impressions, and more.

41. Nick says:

I have sent a few requests about incorrect character encoding of CB marketplace XML feed file before but still no reply. Seems like my questions did not reached your tech team so here is it again. Please pass it to your techies.

File “marketplace_feed_v2.xml” declared as “ISO-8859-1″ (one char – one byte) but in fact all spanish accent chars encoded as UTF-8 2-3 bytes per char. Being a scrupulous person, it is a real headache getting all non-english listings to be displayed correctly every time I update my database from CB XML file.

ClickBank website is multilingual, all UTF-8, it collects all data in that encoding, and I am sure all data also stored in your databases as UTF-8. Why then your feed is in that broken ISO-8859-1? Why don’t you just make your marketplace XML feed to be a valid UTF-8 file?

• bbb
      Beau Blackwell, ClickBank says:

Hi Nick,

I’ve passed your comment along to our development team. I’ll let you know if they update the file based on your feedback. Thanks for your input!

42. Adam says:

Mike,

I like the idea of a conversion %. Though the conversion % will not be totaly the product itself. The conversion % wil also depend on how well your landing and pitch pages work for you! If you are not getting good enough conversion then maybe you could do something to increase your conversion rate on your pages.

43. Andrew says:

Thanks for the new data especially the Avg %. Well done and keep up the good work!