Blog // News

New FTC Endorsement Rules

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission continues to make internet commerce a top priority. The FTC recent issued new regulations that govern the use of “endorsements” to promote products. Those regulations can be found at 16 C.F.R. § 255 or here. Note, the new regulations are effective December 1, 2009.

The new regulations cover all sorts of third party testimonials and endorsements—by consumers, experts and celebrities. If your promotions use customer or consumer endorsements, the FTC requires that the results described must be typical or, if not, you should “clearly and conspicuously” disclose that the results presented are not typical. Also, such customers should be “bona fide” buyers of your product, and not, for example, a fictitious person or your cousin who is doing you a favor. For expert endorsements, the person involved should have special knowledge that qualifies him or her to make the endorsement, e.g., if you use a doctor to sell a diet plan, that doctor shouldn’t be an eye doctor, but have special knowledge in the area of nutrition.

Also, the FTC requires all endorsements to disclose any “material connection” between the vendor and the advertiser. For example, if an affiliate runs a website offering an “independent review” of two products and gives a favorable review of one, they should disclose the fact that they are receiving a commission from the sale of that product. These rules also apply to third parties, such as bloggers, who receive a free product and are asked to do a review. Under the new FTC rules, not only should the blogger disclose he got the product for free but the vendor who gave him the product should make some effort to make sure that the blogger makes that disclosure.

Please review these new rules yourself and if you have questions, please ask your own legal counsel. ClickBank cannot and does not give legal advice to our vendors or affiliates, and our approval of your product does not constitute an approval of any specific marketing, promotion or endorsement used to sell the product.

Comments

1. James says:

Thanks clickbank for keeping us updated on these new rules and regulations posted by the FTC.

2. Hi,
    I watched the youtube from Gideon Shalwick about posting on WordPress. The hoplink from Clickbank was rejected. Is this something to do with the new regulations?

Mary Elizabeth,

Hmm, I’m not sure I understand what you mean by the HopLink being rejected. In WordPress? Or were you trying to use that HopLink somewhere else, like Google AdWords? If it was in WordPress, it was probably a technical error, as WordPress doesn’t have anything to do with the FTC regulations. If you can provide more details about what you were trying to do, I can try to help.

3. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

4. Should we, who live outside of the US, also apply to that rule?

Britt and Jeremy,

The FTC may be able to enforce the guidelines in your country if they work with similar agencies in your country. However, ClickBank will hold all of our clients to these guidelines, regardless of location, so please make sure you’re in compliance with them.

5. James Briggs says:

It would make disclosure much easier if we could offer a small discount to our visitors. “Get A Discount When You Buy Through Our Partner”. Affiliates should be able to determine how much of their commission they want to give up in order to provide a discount.

It will help soften disclosures.

Please implement this asap.

James,

Sorry, we don’t currently allow affiliates to offer cash discounts to customers. I’m also not sure I understand how they relate to the types of disclosure required by the FTC.

6. Wow..seems its an end to super hyped testimonials and floggers! So does that mean, i can’t review a product or promote it as an affiliate until I use it personally?

7. My question is do you have to put the disclosure right next to your affiliate links or can they be in the terms and conditions part of your page? It wouldn’t be too fair if they required you to put it right next to your affiliate links.

Phong,

As far as I know, the FTC hasn’t made any explicit guidelines yet as to where exactly your affiliate link disclosure needs to be. This is one of the many gray areas in the guidelines. Some people actually do already state every time they post an affiliate link, but typically these are people like bloggers. This is just my personal opinion, but I imagine the FTC will probably be fairly flexible in how these links are implemented as long as it’s possible to find a disclosure statement on a site without too much trouble. I think these gray areas will get more solidified in the coming months, though.

8. Jeremy says:

Beau,

If my domicile is outside the USA, say Russia, I don’t have to comply or will the FTC filter out my website/censor it like the Chinese allegedly do?

9. James Briggs says:

Don’t be so dismissive about this idea.

I’m not talking about a cash rebate offer.

I’m talking about you adding a setting to our Clickbank account that allows us to forfeit a portion of our commission in order to give our visitors a small discount.

This is related to the FTC disclosure law.

If I have to disclose my affiliate relationship with the vendor it would help me keep conversion rates up if I could also offer a discount through Clickbank.

James,

I understand what you mean now. I’ll pass your suggestion along to our development team and see if that’s a feature we’d want to implement. Thanks for the suggestion!

10. Suzanne says:

Hi,

I’m not sure if the sales page of the product I am affiliate marketing meets tomorrow’s criteria or not. I know you have thousands of products marketed here; but, can we submit the hoplink for your review to see if Clickbank allows it? Or can we assume that if the offer page is still up and available for us to affiliate market tomorrow, you have approved it?

Thank you!

11. sylvie says:

seems its an end to super hyped testimonials and floggers!
    So is clickbank taking any measures so the products sold by Vendors got FTC pass ?

Suzanne and Sylvie,

Because of the huge number of vendors in our network, many of whom are already in compliance, we will continue our operations as before. We will address any complaints regarding the new guidelines on a case-by-case basis. Because the FTC has said that violators will be notified if they are in violation and given a chance to correct the problems, affiliates should feel confident continuing to promote any products in our network.

Please note that if you are an affiliate that promotes ClickBank products from your own website, blog, or from any social media site, you should make sure to have a disclosure policy, as well.

12. @James Briggs Its not a bad idea but this should be up to the vendor and you shouldn’t expect Clickbank to do it for every merchant.

13. Hi,
    Thanks for all the info on the FTI rules.
    I don’t think we have these in South Africa but when we have offered anything in our emails we have always said that”Sponsorship is received when anyone purchases an article advertised” we do not use any fluffing.
    Regards
    William

14. trish cooper says:

I merely send emails to my list concerning any new products. Should I now put a note/disclaimer on the bottom of each email concerning that I dont endorse the product in anyway and confirm that I receive a comission payment for each sale…. or is this going to far as I dont actually make any claims about the products myself

Trish,

To be safe, you should probably have a disclaimer at the bottom of your email, letting your readers know that you will be compensated if they buy from your links. This is one part of the FTC guidelines, which is disclosing when you stand to make a financial gain from a link.

15. Cash rebates devalue the product

Far better to use bonuses as part of your disclosure and purchase incentive.

Price is rarely an issue, it is the value proposition.

16. Zafifi says:

Hi, I am new in affiliate marketing. Upon hearing the FTC new rules, it seems like I need to learn more about it.

17. James Jones says:

Given the fact that the FTC will also hold the vendor responsible for claims made by the affiliate, when will Clickbank provide a means for the vendor to be able to review affiliate offers and reject affiliates who are making untrue claims?

James,

Because there is no affiliate approval process for ClickBank like with some other networks, vendors can’t view every affiliate who’s promoting them to make sure claims are acceptable. However, if you run across an affiliate who’s making untrue claims, please let us know and we can warn them or blacklist them from promoting your product. We also investigate any complaints against affiliates making these types of claims and take action ourselves.

18. James Jones says:

Beau, I know there is no affiliate review process. I’m saying there needs to be. Or at least some way to know where our products are being promoted. The vendor is ultimately responsible to the FTC. Clickbank needs to give us this data so we can ensure we are compliant.

James,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll pass your thoughts along to our operations team.

Thanks Peter!

19. sah90 says:

i don’t quite understand about this new FTC Endorsement Rules.

20. With the new FTC Earning Disclosure, must you put it on each page displayed or can you simply put it in your Terms of Use page?

Harry,

Though it’s a matter of some debate, you’re probably best off putting the disclosure somewhere on every page with an affiliate link.

21. Dan says:

This is what i have started adding to the bottom of my emails which inclue affiliate links:

MATERIAL CONNECTION DISCLOSURE: You should assume that the sender of this e-mail has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection to the providers of goods and services mentioned in this message and may be compensated when you purchase from a provider. You should always perform due diligence before buying goods or services from anyone via the Internet or offline.

This can also be edited a little to use on your blog / website.

22. Well I think if anyone is marketing as an affiliate you should state on your landing
    pages and emails you send out that any purchase activity will allow you to earn revenue to purchase a soda at the end of the day…. Some simple disclaimer in the email and landing pages would work. I understand the FTC will also go after networks and ad agencies
    that dont police the rules… So I think its going to be wise you actually use a product or review it before making personal offers to such offer… Clickbank is widely abused with offers with outlandish claims and fake authors and screen shots of bogus income claims…… Its time to clean the mess up or the fed will!@

23. James Briggs says:

@JoeRichey

You have to take the time to read the new guidelines.

Even if you buy a product, use it, and get good results from the product you can’t put that on your review or sales page. That would be considered an a-typical result because the average person who buys the product won’t be able to repeat your success.

And TECHNICALLY all disclaimers should come BEFORE the affiliate link. So a disclaimer wouldn’t really work in an e-mail. You would have to label the link an “affiliate link” or work your disclosure into the post.

A lot of people want to pick on affiliate marketing, but these rules apply to big businesses like Nutrisystem and LA Weight Loss as well. Those sites have yet to change their “illegal” testimonials.

24. Donna says:

This is the most informative and accessible of all similar articles I’ve read on the new FTC guidelines. I really appreciate that it’s not off-puttingly long either, and that it actually explains it all quite clearly. Thanks for keeping us informed and making it so easy to understand!

25. rgbshop says:

The words of disclosure! Is something look like this?

“If you like my Web site, please buy through my affiliate link and I receive a commission. (Very Happy) If you don’t, here’s the direct link but I regret I receive no payment. (Very sad)”

26. It is one more good step by FTC where they have tried to tighten rope over the hype fake testimonials. A true affiliate marketer would never mind placing a disclaimer. Moreover, anyone buying on the internet generally knows about affiliate marketing. Savvy marketers do not have to worry much on this account if they comply in letter and spirit.

27. Tia says:

I know it’s a really late comment but I 100% agree with James Briggs suggestion that we be allowed to forfeit a portion (or all) of a commission that would serve as a discount to buyers. This is very similar to the relationship a sales person has with a merchant. Sometimes, to get a deal, you’ve got to give something up!

Not sure how you would implement this as I’m totally new to Clickbank but it would be great.

Cheers, Tia

28. Jess says:

Hi there! I’m new to affiliate marketing and just want to make sure that I am in compliance with the FTC before I go for it. I am wondering if there are any guidelines that we need to be concerned about if we are direct-linking ads from google or other ad networks?

Thanks for your help!

Jess and Steve1776,

This is just my opinion, but you shouldn’t need to put any kind of affiliate disclaimer on AdWords or other “traditional” advertising, since it’s clear that it’s an ad. The FTC guidelines were mainly developed to make it clear what’s a “paid” endorsement and what’s not.

29. Lois says:

Thanks Gary Gross. I appreciate the info on your website and the disclaimer .gif is great! Thanks for sharing.

30. Steve1776 says:

I’m also wondering how we are supposed to place an ad that links to a pitch page.

31. Steve1776 says:

Thanks for the info Gary Gross. May I “steal” your legalese stuff?

32. From all the information I picked up. Is if you are in doubt about if you need to a disclosure next to your link. Do it! It’s better to play it safe then take a risk. Honestly I am all for this change and its going to really start to change things on the net for the better. Even if you live outside the USA it is a VERY good idea to abide by these rules if you sell to people that live within the USA.

33. Thanks Clickbank!

Once again I think we should be excited to be part of a networking site which is so happy to help us out.

Not only have I noticed and predicted new FTC rules on “testimonials” I have always wondered how I can “duplicate” these false testimonials only in a good way. For example, listing a real estate agent (my site is aimed at helping new agents) who is new to the business but ALSO related to me.

Thanks for going through the effort.

Many sites I have seen do not care about honesty and this must stop.

34. Thanks for pointing this out again. I think it’s probably for the best and will cut down on a lot of scam sites. Most people doing transparent business will not have a problem with this. The hype and fake testimonials were getting out of hand anyway. It will be interesting to see how this effects the affiliate industry. Thanks again.

35. Thank you Clickbank for making this matter easier for us to understand. Rules are rules and we all have to follow it.

Tal

36. Chris says:

Not content with being the policeman of the world, it seems the USA now wants to become the policeman of the Internet also.

What a week! First Google banning tens of thousands of Adwords accounts and now this!

I was in the USA 5 times in the last 2 years and was asked twice when I told people that I worked as an Internet marketer, “Wow do you guys have the Internet in Australia and China too?”

I seriously think some people 9n Texas imagine the Internet stops with the borders of Canada.

My question is:

Who thinks that the Internet Marketing community has brought this upon themselves with all the over the top hype and guru’s romoting each others lists and my-course-will-make-you-a-gazillion-dollars-by-next-tuesday-lunchtime courses?

Or, is this just another sign in the now ‘Socialist’ United States of America?

And if it is, what happens next?

37. John says:

I found one of the most revealing statements in the above referenced CFR link,in paragraph 6; “The Guides are administratoristrative interpretations…” Which then goes on to say that ultimately the burden of proof lies with the FTC. I am no lawyer, but applying some common sense toward this issue would be in order. I have no problem with informing people I am getting a piece of the action for soliciting affiliate materials or if I choose to endorse a product, “one I actually use and trust”; in the context mentioned in these discussions. It is just sound practice. As for testimonials, they should be real and credible. I do not take kindly to misleading people and I despise those who pray on the desperation of others. Disclaimers should be elaborated on, but all that is needed here, in my opinion, is a simple rewording. Many disclaimers I have read, and I have read many, exclude the infamous “results are not typical” clause with more intricate wording geared toward someones personal experience, discipline or general learning skills.

One thing I would keep a watch for is people who will make false complaints to the FTC regarding their experience using a product or system for the sole purpose of monetary gain. Not trying to scare anyone, but just trying to give a broader perspective. There are practices that should and need to be cleaned up, but the abusive side of new laws must also be curtailed.

38. @lois

You’re welcome. I try to stay on top of things as they develop. Last thing I want is the FTC breathing down my back !

39. @Steve1776

Go right ahead, I don’t mind.

40. PoppiD says:

Ya know is there anything the feds don’t regulate to the point of insanity?
    Talk about being a beast of burden lol

41. kellib says:

I agree with PoppiD….

I have no problems letting people know that I am getting a pc of the pie from a product. I do however have a problem with the government hand in my cookie jar again!! I mean if a person can not figure out that I am selling a product with a “buy button” on my page we have bigger problems than that!! The copy that I provide on my landing pages is taken from the mfg with permission. I make no claims of outcome merely just what the product can possibly do for you. Isnt that the case in anything you buy? So what is next?

Yet again the good have to suffer for the bad….I have NEVER mislead or cheated a customer out of anything. If you try a product and dont like it return it….that is why clickbank offers a 60 day money back guarantee. I have not had one client state that they were unable to get a refund. This is just a ridiculous law. We have way more important things to tackle in the world. I mean doesnt some of the common sense have to fall back on the buyer? But yet our wonderful govt now again is hurting business people yet again.

42. Very sobering, especially when you consider the Presidents appointment of a new Internet Czar. I’m not getting into a political debate on Obama’s merits or appointments. I have my private thoughts. I’m very interested to see what his agenda is.

But the reason I commented is to ask where I could find a suitable disclaimer on ” the infamous “results are not typical” clause with more intricate wording geared toward someones personal experience, discipline or general learning skills.”
    Any thoughts? I’m in the process of a new site on weight loss and the timing is perfect. I do plan to write a number of articles based on my background and personal experience.
    Thanks,
    Suave Dog

43. What a pain to have to go through all my sites and remove recommendations that came with the sales pages! I understand it but it sure is difficult!

44. Gary Doyle says:

The real problem really does not get addressed… and probably because the big pharm and other lobby interest. (what about the advertisements with drug companies when the disclaimers of health problems take up more time than selling the benefits)?
    Gary

45. Sam Spadina says:

I agree with Gary, the FTC has not regulated drug pharmaceutical advertisements especially those with celebrities on national TV networks and on the internet. The advertisements are allowed freely to “market” these products even though the claims from the drug makers are not proven, not safe, have no safety standards, and just listing numerous side effects is not cutting it. The FTC should be concentrating on TV drug ads -those that are blasting on news networks every day -with repetitive ads. This is fraudulent and without substantial proof that these drugs work-most of them make consumers very sick. Instead they are deterring small businesses on the internet and these new FTC regulations do not represent positive change. It seems the FTC favors large corporations while making small business more difficult.

46. Oscar says:

Whatever happened to “Caveat Emptor”. I understand the idea behind the legislation, but interpretation into law is proving to be heavy handed.

47. Teddybear says:

Here’s another example of Big Brother sticking his nose in the affairs of business. If those in government is wondering why the economy is going down the toilet, well this why.
    They make more and more complicated for the little guy to make a buck. GUess what, with fewer and fewer people making money, that means fewer tax dollars going into big brothers coffers. Some Law makers need to get a life.

48. Jess says:

Re: Teddybear:
    I get that it seems so difficult for the little guy to make a buck and that the big bad government wants to control everything, however, if you have ever been scammed online out of any money at all, you would know that something needs to be done. Its incredibly easy for scammers to get away with ripping you off online and incredibly difficult for the consumer to have any sort of recourse. I recently had $200 stolen from me from an automotive transportation company that seemed completely legit, spoke to them on the phone even, but they were a total sham. It has been hell attempting to get it resolved. Only after months of other people getting ripped off has anything even begun to happen.

So, if you have a legitimate business online, you should be very happy that some efforts are being taken to HELP THE HONEST PEOPLE out there trying to make a buck by getting rid of the losers that are ruining it for the good guys.

49. RE Jess to TeddyBear,
    Honest People are always the ones going to be hurt by big government regulation in my opinion. Regarding the new FTC rulings and the little guy business. I find it similar to the gun laws it wont stop the real criminals from having weapons just your everyday citizen that wants to protect his or her family. The government is never going to have the resources to stop those who don’t give a sh..and don’t play by their rules.
    Oh by the way i know this from personal experience I was in the Military Intel filed personally for over a decade. So maybe your results haven’t been typical ;0)

50. As to the FTC regulating affiliate marketing, will this extend to multi-level marketing as well? Sounds like honesty is the best policy. I understand that each “vendor” should take the responsibility for validating the a product and be transparent about their role as a salesperson. Does that sound accurate?

51. Jefe says:

If I am selling a product online, I must tell the consumer that I am getting a commission or If I endorse a product I must tell the consumer I am making a product?

My family owns a retail store and If I had to tell every customer I was making a profit, instead of this idea being implied, we’d be out of business.

The consumer has to take chances, esp. on the internet. I have never purchased anything over the internet that I have not checked and researched indepth before purchasing. Both Product and Vendor.

I guess I would say — Its fine with me, if endorsements have to be real, if testimonials have to be real, but If I have to tell every customer I am making a profit on my sales, thats just going to far.

52. Sangetsu says:

Looks like Big Brother has their hand in my cookie jar again, “as kellib says”, looks like I have to start putting nails in my cookie jar to keep them out.

What the government is saying is “reasonable”, but they don’t have to throw it our face.

53. George says:

Is the FTC making these rules for drug company’s, McDonald’s, Apple, Microsoft, and even Google. Does the FTC make Google disclose that if you:

click on an Ad or a Link that Google makes Money, or a profit?
    Click on an Ad on a computer, that Apple makes money or a profit?
    Click on an Ad, on a piece of software that Microsoft makes money or a profit?

What about Google Adwords, does Google disclose it is making a profit if you click on their sponsored Links? Do they disclose this on every link that Google gets paid for on the internet?

Gets a big ridiculous doesn’t it?

Does the same disclosure apply to television ads, radio ads, newspaper ads or are they just targeting internet businesses?

This is totally unfair, unwarranted and will stop small businesses besides being totally an asinine idea. ( that means coming from a idiot).

Whomever thought of these new rules and regulations should decide to target those who “are” making the millions like the big guru’s, and those who are not disclosing recurring charges -not the little mom and pop businesses where people are just trying to etch out a living.

The more people try to stop you – the harder you should try to succeed.

George

PS. The stuff that is on Television every night is disgraceful promotion of products with no substantial regulation, every day we are bombarded with commercials that have no disclosures- and that is far more an influence on the public than ads on the internet where people have a choice. Television ads are largely unregulated today – anything goes, booze, drugs….and are far more harmful to society.

54. Brian says:

Just stay white hat and you will never have an issue. That is basically what you need to do in a nut shell.

55. James says:

I agree with George. Those FTC regulations are taking away our hard earned money. They are practically shutting all small internet business online, as stating that you get a commission really turns your customers off. Why don’t they tackle the “big fish” those that are harming others- TV, radio, pharmacies etc…. It’s as if they want us to live on the streets, and they are doing every bit they can to make it happen. I say all of us stand together and make a petition or something- stand against this bull****

56. Dane says:

I don’t really think that it will change much. It might actually give the industry more credibility.

57. Rose says:

OK, can someone give an example or what other affiliate marketers are writing on their blogs, websites etc to keep FTC happy and us above board?

58. Scott says:

hi i’m from New Zealand and the FTC is an American orgastion do people from other countrys have to go by this? it all sounds over the top i always carefully check out a website when buying.thanks

from scott

Scott,

While the FTC is a US-based organization, it is possible that they could work with New Zealand-based government entities to enforce these rules, or find other ways to enforce them. It’s a good idea to be in compliance now, as ClickBank will comply with any FTC requests that relate to our clients.

59. Jess says:

Scott, Its best just to comply no matter what country you are in. Especially if you are affiliated with any US based companies within your business or selling to anyone in the US. By the way… I was just in New Zealand and loved everything about it! You are lucky to live there!

60. Scott says:

Jess,yes it’s very pretty down here and sheltered from the rest of the world,just the way we like it!i’d love to one travel overseas too one day.

61. SANKARJI says:

To my view geneune vendors and affiliates of any product catagory need not have to worry too much about the new regulaory requirement. As the days go by it will become a routine affair. Afterall every participant has to go through this process. However, foulplayers will come out sooner than later with their own scheme of things to keep FTC happy and themselves above board.

62. Darren says:

Basically, this will help because there are a lot of review website portals i have come across that are just BS and have a few half assed reviews of different products but these websites are used to redirect the viewer to the intended product the affiliate is promoting.

63. Joshua says:

Attn: Rose

Here is what I put on the footer of my site…

“You should know that some of the items on my site are for sale, and I may make a commission on them. The commission helps in keeping this site going for the next {insert niche prospect title} person wanting to learn spanish, it also helps put food on my family’s table. If you do buy a product which I am compensated – Thank You!”

Just an FYI though – I drafted this myself and I’m not a lawyer.

Hope this helps.

64. Scott says:

that’s a good statment does anyone know what font the text can be? or what size it should be?

Scott,

There are no guidelines for what font or size disclosures need to be in. As long as it’s pretty legible to readers (i.e., not white text on a white background), you should be fine.

65. Andy says:

I may be off here but I don’t interpret this to mean if I sell a product on my website that I need to say I make a profit from it. I read this to mean that if I endorse one product over another because I get paid by the one then I must state so. e.g. I get commissions from Pepsi so if I state on my website Pepsi is better than Coke, then I need to disclose Pepsi gives me commission.
    While this conjurs up many things,the question I have is, if I work for Pepsi and I post something on my Facebook that says Pepsi is the best drink, do I then need to disclose I get paid by Pepsi as an employee? i.e. is Facebook a blog? because there is a statement about bloggers disclosing if they get paid/gifts for endorsements.

p.s. I do not work for nor do I receive any compensation from Pepsi. The examples are given in hypothetical cases and in no way are they meant to derive a fact nor to endorse a product

66. Farouk says:

Interesting stuff. I guess the FTC is just trying to look after the buyers/purchasers/the general public from getting ripped off!
    This isn’t a big thing. We all know what some people DO put false testimonials on their pages. So yeah, fair enough.

Cheers

Farouk

67. ZoomH2 says:

Wow, I love stuff like this because when the rules of the game gets changed all the crap marketers find it harder and all the good marketers find it easier.
    All depends on what side of the fence your on!

I’m really keen to hear what happens with the overseas rulings and stuff because i’m sure alot of marketers do not live in the States.

Any one have any real info on that?

68. Shouvik says:

I have a question here. I see many new CB products having disclaimer on the main sales page, containing a short paragraph at the end of the sales page, while many older CB products (sales pages that had probably been made before the announcement of the new FTC rule) have links at the bottom mentioning “disclaimer” and that link leads to another page. So is it okay to have disclaimer on another page other than the main sales page? I mean does it obey with the FTC rule? Or should it be on the main sales page?

69. Graham says:

Because parts of these legal changes will not allow us the advertiser to deliver a clear message to our consumer, it may in some sections of the community cause a fundamental lack of trust in any affiliate product/service we provide.
    This could have significant impacts on our revenues and therefore the american economy and having to disclose an affiliation needed to be tested before any changes were introduced. Just when you’re trying to get back on your feet, is not the time for untested change.
    The true onus should be the FTC to go after the individuals who are perpetrating misleading copy, rather than over regulating the honest hardworking individuals amongst us.
    Plus how are we going to fit this in a ppc ad. This shows a fundamental lack of understanding from a financial perspective of what the internet is. What next over taxation from multiple source countries?
    From people who should know what effect system based changes will have, this a)comes up lacking and b)shows a lack of correct industry consultation ie a professor at a prominent university is not at the industry coalface.